Saturday 26 March 2011

Fame it or Flame it?

When I was an FM radio junkie in the late 90s, one of the competitions they would have on every night was called "Fame it or Flame it".  It was when they introduced 2 songs, and asked listeners to call up and vote for which one was their preferred.  The song with the most votes would be the winner (and would be "famed", and would appear on the following night's show) while the song with the least votes would be the user (and would be "flamed").

What I aim to do here is in similar spirit, but different.  What I will be doing here is  going through each ABBA album, selecting and "faming" the song I think is the best of all on the album, and voting off ("flaming") the worst.  Wish me luck!

Ring Ring Album:
Famed: Nina Pretty Ballerina.  A delightful instantly-catchy melody.  Don't think much of the lyrics, but the melody alone makes it my favourite song in this whole album.
Flamed: I Saw It In The Mirror: Obviously this was one of the (rare) ABBA songs where not much effort was put into recording.  A junkyard-worthy performance, in my humble opinion.

Waterloo Album:
Famed: Honey Honey.  Some people call this track silly.  But that's exactly what makes it stand out and be so fun.  Along with the fun there's even a touch of emotion in there ("I don't wanna see you cry/So stay on the ground girl, you'd better not get to high") which is a rare touch indeed for a song as laid back and happy as this. 
Flamed: Suzy-Hang-Around: A depressive, schoolyard-bullying track. Not their finest moment by a long shot.

ABBA Album:
Famed: SOS.  Just beating Mamma Mia by an inch of a nose, this catchy, deep, powerful song has everything a successful pop song is made for, and more.  Sad, but oddly, with a touch of underlying happiness to the beat also.  As is commonly commented, this is the first song which demonstrated Agnetha's ability to "cry with her voice".
Flamed: Man In The Middle.  No surprises about this one.  Still remains one of the worst ABBA songs ever.  There is no sense or meaning as to why this song would be worthy of being released, in my opinion.  A failed attempt perhaps at something meaningful.

Arrival Album:
Famed: Why Did It Have To Be Me.  Sorry, but of all the songs that weren't released as singles that should have been, this one has to take the cake.  The saxophone melody tops it off perfectly.
Flamed: When I Kissed The Teacher.  I know some people commend this as being a clever and meaningful song, but I respectfully disagree.  Sure, a lot of people would be able to relate to it - but to me its profoundness doesn't quite top off its sense of silliness.  To each their own, I guess.

The Album Album:
Famed: Move On.  Hopeful, respectable, profound, elegant.  No sign of anything silly or immature here.  One of ABBA's finest moments, my overall favourite ABBA song.  As close to perfection as any song can ever be, in my opinion.
Flamed: (this was a very hard one) I Wonder (Departure).  This is a great album and all tracks I believe are masterpieces, which made this decision very hard.  This is a very elegant melody with beautiful vocals, but the lyrics don't quite cut it for me.  Sure, it deals with the emotions of someone struggling to make a decision about whether to make a big change, a step forward in their life.  But something about it just doesn't make it stand out quite as brilliantly as the other tracks on the album.

Voulez-Vous Album:
Famed: I Have A Dream.  A beautiful masterpiece, pure, angelic, and hopeful.  Again, no sign of any silly immaturity here.  The children's choir is the icing on the cake.
Flamed: Voulez-Vous.  Sorry, I know some people may disagree, but I just think this song was way too over-complex.  Although I have to admit, it is starting to grow on me.

Super Trouper Album:
Famed: Andante Andante.  Delicious, sensitive, tender melody.  A true gem amongst gems on this album.
Flamed: (again this was a very hard one): Me And I.  Actually a great song, but perhaps not quite stacked up with the rest of them lyrically.  Sure, it's quite clever, but it seems a little bit of a cliche, there seem to be a few too many songs around with lyrics like these, at least these days.  Still, having to take a track off this album was torture.

The Visitors Album:
Famed: When All Is Said And Done.  No surprises here.  My second favourite ABBA song, just an inch before Move On.  This is a powerful, emotionally strong masterpiece, and in my opinion the ultimate tribute to turning an emotionally challenging experience into something positive and uplifting.
Flamed: Two For The Price Of One.  Again, no surprises here.  This is such a great album, and yet this little obscure track in the middle of it once again makes them look like they were bored and looking for something to do.  I like the marching band instrumental at the end though, symbolising how life marches on proudly after this new-found love.

No comments:

Post a Comment